AC Power Measurement using Arduino
Table of Contents
- 1 AC Power Measurement using Arduino
Measuring AC power using Arduino microcontroller and Instrument Transformer. This article gives you a software and hardware solution concerning the Atmeaga328P microcontroller and the Instrument transformer power measurement module for measuring AC power. We also provides hardware and Arduino Program for AC Power Measurement.
To ensure more accurate AC Power Measurement using Arduino, we designed cost effective DIY AC wattmeter using ZMCT103C current transformer and ZMPT107B Voltage Transformer. This DIY AC wattmeter is designed for the effective measurement of
- AC voltage
- AC Current
- Active Power
- Apparent Power
- Power Factor.
This DIY AC wattmeter module used for single-phase power monitoring up to 1000V AC voltage and 100A current applications. you can easily interface this module to any microcontroller like Arduino, STM32, PIC, AVR etc.
ZMCT103C high precision PCB mount micro current transformer converts a high primary current into a lower secondary current. This module makes it easy to monitor AC mains current upto 5 Amps. For Higher current measurement you can replace ZMCT103C with PBT terminal and connect any wired current transformer upto 100A.
There is need for accurate and economic methods of voltage and current measurement using arduino
power measurement. The main objective of this project is Power Measurement to reduce peak on generation by providing customers with their instantaneous power consumption. The aim of providing such data to the user is, to encourage them to shift their load during non-peak hour and reduce their power usage and electricity bill.
ATMEGA328P has an embedded 10-bit ADC for current and voltage measurement, GPIO for LCD management, and a lot of other peripherals for communication, tamper detection, keyboard, and power disconnection. Powerful architecture of the STM32™ microcontroller allows sampling at 1 Msps. The high sampling rate makes it possible to use methods for ADC resolution enhancement.
Why you need AC Power Measurement using Arduino
Electrical AC power measurement is at the heart of most applications in the electrical Infrastructure for
- Electrical power supply management,
- Dimand Side management
- Supply side management
- Electricity usage control (sub-metering),
- Portable power quality analysis.
- Condition monitoring, and
For AC power measurement using Arduino, you have two different solutions
DIY AC power measurement Board
Ready to use AC power measurement Board
DIY AC power measurement Board
The main parts of this measurement board is Instument Transformer. Hear we need AC voltage measurement as well as AC current measurement to get the power.
- voltage Transformer
- Current Transformer
- Burden Resistor
A current transformer is an “instrument transformer” that is designed to provide current in its secondary, which is accurately proportional to the current flowing in its primary.
Key specifications of Current Transformer
- Accuracy: measurement accuracy directly impacts the efficiency of an overall system. Power Measurement requires current sensors with accuracy much better than 1%.
- Drift: The drift of a sensor is related to the sustainability of reading over time.
- Linearity: The linearity of the sensor refers to the stability of its characteristics within the full operating mode.
- Phase shift: The phase shift should be as low as possible.
- Price: The price of the sensors is important when accurate current sensors are required for power measurement
For AC current measurement using arduino we are using ZMCT103C Current Transformer. get more details about ZMCT103C current transformer
I the first diagram we show the complete schematic hear you find PCB layout and actual measurement board.
Hear we are using “EmonLib.h” Electricity monitoring library designed by Open Energy Monitor is used. This it best for voltage and current measurement. AC Power Measurement using Arduino code is possible using this code, For more advance coding and help contact us on email@example.com
Possible Projects Using This board
- IOT based Power Monitoring (Arduino Code and Circuit Diagram Available)
- Overvoltage, undervolatge monitoring and Protection System (Arduino Code and Circuit Diagram Available)